Creating A Homestead Lot: What You Need To Know

Creating A Homestead Lot

Homestead lots are one of the most common rural subdivisions we receive enquiries about. This article addresses a few frequently asked questions to help you understand the process to create one.

What is a homestead lot?

A small lot generally ranging from one to four hectares, but may be up to 20 hectares depending on site specific circumstances, which is excised from a larger farm holding for separate occupation, such as by a retiring farmer wishing to remain in an approved existing dwelling.

Why would I want one?

This allows you to sell farmland while retaining the farm residence. Ultimately you will split an original lot into two; a small lot with the house, shed & yards, and a larger lot with the remaining farmland.

What is the cost and how long is the process?

If there are no planning conditions to meet, the total cost including survey, government fees and conveyancing is typically between $15,000 and $25,000. The process will take at least 6 months from initial enquiry to title issue. This is a general guide only as every site is different!

What are the minimum requirements?

Aside from zoning and financial feasibility, lot layout is often the main barrier. Both new lots must border a dedicated (gazetted) road at some point. Some Shires have a minimum size requirement for the original lot.

How do I get started?

  1. Contact a Licensed Surveyor to examine your options, planning policies and liaise with the Shire planner. RM Surveys does this free of charge.
  2. The surveyor lodges an application to subdivide with the WA Planning Commission (WAPC). If applicable, they may impose conditions to meet such as connect underground power for the homestead, more firebreaks, and wider gates for firefighting vehicles.
  3. The Licensed Surveyor will survey and peg the new boundaries, draft a Deposited Plan and lodge it with Landgate and WAPC for final approval.
  4. Application for New Titles is done by a conveyancer, the titles are required before the settlement of any land sale.

This article references Development Control Policy 3.4 – Subdivision Of Rural Land by the Department of Planning, Lands & Heritage.

Samudra is a Licensed Surveyor for RM Surveys in Northam. If you would like any more information feel free to contact him on 9670 3124. Click here for information about our Northam office.

Contact RM Surveys

Call us today or simply fill out the form and we will contact you shortly.